The Crisis in Ukraine: How You Can Help
March 10, 2022
While following the troubling news coverage of Russia’s attack on Ukraine, it’s easy to feel helpless from so far away. However, there are numerous ways you can support the people of Ukraine. Here are some suggestions of organizations well worthy of our support.
- UNICEF. Dedicated to defending the lives and rights of children, UNICEF is working to provide vital humanitarian supplies to Ukrainian families (e.g., medicine, medical supplies, young childhood recreational kits) and provide vulnerable children and families with essential services, such as healthcare, education, water, and sanitation.
- Doctors Without Borders. Teams from Doctors Without Borders have switched to emergency operations in Ukraine, working to provide surgical care, emergency medicine, and mental health support for displaced people. These efforts are also critical for those patients from hospitals who have had to be evacuated.
- Airbnb.org. In an effort to provide temporary housing for Ukrainian refugees, Airbnb’s nonprofit is asking people to donate to their stays. The company has also made their own pledge to provide shelter for up to 100,000 fleeing Ukraine.
- Humane Society. Humane Society International (HSI) is collaborating with a partner in Ukraine, UAnimals, to assess and prioritize the needs of shelters and clinics engaged in relief. Donations will also support efforts to provide refugees with pet food, necessary supplies, and veterinary care for their animals.
- Show your support for Ukraine by supporting your local Ukrainian-owned businesses. To find where they are in your community, Google search: Ukrainian-owned businesses near [your city, state]. While the immediate need lies more than 5,000 miles away, this is another meaningful way to show that you stand in solidarity.
You might also like…
Announcing Virginia’s 2022 RPAC Hall of Fame Inductees
By Robin Spensieri - January 18, 2023
Virginia REALTORS® celebrates its new inductees to NAR’s RPAC Hall of Fame! The Hall of Fame recognizes members who have made a significant commitment to the REALTORS® Political Action… Read More
2022 Results: Virginia REALTORS® RPAC Awards
By Robin Spensieri - January 12, 2023
On Tuesday, January 10, 2023, REALTORS® from across the Virginia gathered for the 2022 RPAC Awards ceremony in downtown Richmond. After a fantastic year of hard work and collaboration,… Read More
What Were VAR’s Most Popular Stories of 2022?
By Robin Spensieri - December 15, 2022
At Virginia REALTORS®, we love seeing which articles and resources our members click on the most each year. This helps shine a light onto which topics are of… Read More