*Please note: Any questions regarding Legal Hotline Spotlights should be submitted via the Virginia REALTORS® Legal Hotline. Our attorneys are unable to respond to questions through our comments section.

Question: I am a broker for a property management firm. We manage properties that were built in 1965; however, we do not do any of the major maintenance. We hire contractors to perform all the maintenance and make sure they are Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) certified. Do I need to have RRP certification as well? 

Answer: The short answer is yes. You also need to be RRP certified. 

The longer answer is, first, does your firm perform, offer, or claim to perform RRP activities in pre-1978 residential buildings or child-occupied facilities? If you already answer yes, then you must become a Lead-Safe Certified Firm 

If you aren’t sure and are wondering what offer or claim to perform RRP work means, it is anything in these broad activities 

  • Soliciting and evaluating contractor bids; 
  • Applying for permits, as appropriate; 
  • Granting contractors access to the property; 
  • Overseeing contractor work on the property; 
  • Informing tenants of renovation activity; 
  • Verifying completion of renovation activity; or 
  • Remitting payment to the contractors. 

If you perform any of the above-mentioned activities, then you must be RRP certified. Follow the link here for more information on how to get certified.  

What is the Legal Hotline?

The Legal Hotline is a member benefit that has been supporting members for over 25 years. Our team of lawyers answers your important questions about real estate transactions quickly and accurately (usually within three business hours!).

Here are some tips to help make the Legal Hotline work for you!