Virginia REALTORS® is committed to keeping YOU in-the-know with updates and resources regarding the impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on your business and industry. Keep checking back—this page will be updated regularly with new information.
Important Updates At a Glance
- License Renewal Update. On July 31, 2021, the temporary waiver put in place by Governor Northam to extend the validity of expired licenses and credentials amid COVID-19 will EXPIRE. NOW is the time to ensure your real estate license requirements, continuing education (CE) credits, and fees are current so that you can continue to do business after the COVID-19 Executive Orders are rescinded on July 31. The clock is ticking for you to make sure your business requirements are in order. Act now! Information on DPOR’s actions in response to COVID-19 can be found on its website. Updated June 2, 2021.
- Evictions Ban Ruling Update. On May 5, 2021, U.S. District Court Judge Dabney L. Friedrich of the District of Columbia struck down the CDC eviction moratorium. The Department of Justice immediately filed a notice of appeal and requested an emergency stay, which could bring the CDC Order back until the appeal is decided. Because Virginia has existing protections for tenants, landlords and property managers should continue to follow Virginia law. More information on what is required before filing can be found in this February article. Updated May 7, 2021.
- Relief Program Updates. Governor Ralph Northam has announced that Virginia will be dedicating an additional $524 million in new federal funding to the Virginia Rent Relief Program (RRP). The state will make $160 million of the funding immediately available to the program and provide additional funding as the need arises. Additionally, the White House has announced the extension of COVID-19-related forbearance and foreclosure protections for homeowners. The actions announced today will:
- Extend the foreclosure moratorium for homeowners through June 30, 2021;
- Extend the mortgage payment forbearance enrollment window until June 30, 2021, for borrowers who wish to request forbearance;
- Provide up to six months of additional mortgage payment forbearance, in three-month increments, for borrowers who entered forbearance on or before June 30, 2020. Updated February 16, 2021
- Continuing mitigation measures. Governor Northam is extending Executive Order Seventy-Two, which outlines current mitigation measures. View the current information here. Updated May 5, 2021.
- On December 21, Congress passed a new COVID-19 relief package, which also included an Omnibus spending bill for Fiscal Year 2021, and some tax extenders. Visit NAR’s resource page for more details on what’s included in this new package. Updated December 22, 2020.
- Form 200 RR – COVID-19 Rules and Regs (You must be logged in to access this PDF)
COVID-19 & Real Estate