Virginia REALTORS® Celebrates Women’s History Month
March 5, 2021
March is Women’s History month in the United States, celebrating the vital role women have played throughout our nation’s history. Take a look at some stand-out details about women’s work within Virginia REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS® over the last century.
DID YOU KNOW?
- When Virginia REALTORS® was founded in 1920, it had an entirely male membership. Today, our most recent membership report reveals that 51% of our members are women.
- NAR’s 2020 Member Profile reveals that currently, 64% of REALTOR® members across America are female.
- Today, women are becoming homeowners in record numbers—and many of them are doing it on their own. According to the 2020 survey of home buyers and sellers, 16% of buyers in Virginia are single women.
- In 1984, Dorcas Helfant-Browning became the first female President of our association, then called the Virginia Association of REALTORS® (VAR). That year, only six other state-level REALTOR® associations had female Presidents.
- Helfant-Browning went on to be elected as NAR’s first female President in 1992. Despite significant opposition, she made it her platform to meet as many REALTORS® across the country as possible. Clearly, her determination paid off.
- In 1981, Joan D. Gifford of Norfolk was named the first female Virginia REALTOR® of the Year honoree.
- Virginia REALTORS®’ current CEO, Terrie Suit, was appointed to the Virginia Real Estate Board in 1996. She later served Virginia’s 81st District as a delegate for nearly a decade. In 2011, she was appointed by Virginia’s governor to be Virginia’s first-ever Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security.
Virginia REALTORS® celebrates the tens of thousands of women who have helped our association and industry flourish over the past century.
We have an entire chapter in our 100-year anniversary book dedicated to the trailblazing women in our association’s history. If you’re interested in securing a copy of the Virginia REALTORS® 100-year book, click here.
You might also like…
Announcing Virginia’s 2022 RPAC Hall of Fame Inductees
By Robin Spensieri - January 18, 2023
Virginia REALTORS® celebrates its new inductees to NAR’s RPAC Hall of Fame! The Hall of Fame recognizes members who have made a significant commitment to the REALTORS® Political Action… Read More
2022 Results: Virginia REALTORS® RPAC Awards
By Robin Spensieri - January 12, 2023
On Tuesday, January 10, 2023, REALTORS® from across the Virginia gathered for the 2022 RPAC Awards ceremony in downtown Richmond. After a fantastic year of hard work and collaboration,… Read More
What Were VAR’s Most Popular Stories of 2022?
By Robin Spensieri - December 15, 2022
At Virginia REALTORS®, we love seeing which articles and resources our members click on the most each year. This helps shine a light onto which topics are of… Read More